Monday, September 14, 2009

Cuttlebug Challenge blog #48.


G'day,
Well this week we had to create a gift bag / box and birthday card for our theme... so... Pirate Treasure hunt had no other option it had to be a Treasure Chest! Now Brandon who will be 7 in November likes to keep all his treasures from previous Christmas' and Birthdays in a beaten up old transformers box so I figured I would make his Treasure Chest quite sturdy so he can upgrade (fingers crossed!) and I can get rid of the torn, beaten up box.

I used the Cuttlebug Skeleton Scroll embossing folder and the vintage cutting dies among lots of other things for the treasure chest.

It started with just flimsy cardboard but has a layer of card and woodgrain contact on each side so its now quite robust. The gold is gold foil paper, for the vintage die cuts you need to put double sided on the back before you cut it and roll it through the Cuttlebug once and then in reverse to get all the way through. If you are going to make a treasure chest do yourself a favour and do NOT have a round lid LoL it was a nightmare ;-)

Okay, the card, I have to admit I am going to re-do this when I have the use of my index finger back... I sliced the pad, not on the craft knife, not on the scissors, nope, not even on the guillotine... but on the plastic packaging as I tried to get the Cuttlebug Vintage cutting dies out of the pack!

Anyway back to the card. The photos are dark otherwise you only get the flash from the silver and gold foil cardstock.


The ship is from the 4 pack of pirate dies from Cuttlekids. The waves are done using a fiskars texture plate (works well in my Cuttlebug!), Circles were Spellbinders Nestibilities to make the port hole with black brads, background is of course Happy Birthday Cuttlebug A2 Embossing Folder, inside I embossed gold circles (coins) with two of the Happy Birthday 2x2.75 Cuttlebug Embossing Folder Set. The Christmas Chocolate coins should be out by Brandon's Birthday in November so I am thinking I will make up a heap of the coins as I did for the inside and fill his treasure chest up (since he inherited my sweet tooth).

Thanks for reading and have a great day,
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Amazing, Sarah!! These are truly awesome!!! Thanks so much for joining us in our birthday celebration at Cuttlebug Challenge Blogspot.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this really IS a treasure! I love that you are doing something that will be a real keepsake for your son. Sorry about your finger...hope it heals soon. The card really rocks, too...the waves are awesome, and I love the portholes! Great design element! I can hardly wait for your take on the next Cuttlebug Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah :) These are `gorgeous` "Thanks" for joining in with the Cuttlebug Challenges..Sooo glad you did..great to see you..
    Enjoy the rest of your week...:)xxx
    terrie
    http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You actually made that chest yourself! I admire you a lot as I don't think I would embark in such an adventure.
    Thanks for playing with us over the Cuttlebug Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Happy Crafting :-)